Monday, January 16, 2012

But it's not really like riding a bike...

There are some skills that really require constant maintenance.
Not like riding a bike.
I am a maker- there are so many "making skills" that require use. Use it, or lose it.

I am a jeweler.  I love doing repairs.  It's been a while, though.
I still have confidence in doing repairs.  (But I feel a little more stress now than I did 5 years ago.)

But the table saw...
oh, the table saw.
It's been so long, and I am so out of practice, and it's a completely different set up than I was used to...  So the set of shelves that I was going to make are waiting, and waiting, and waiting.  I decided I would work on them before I started student teaching.  Better hurry up, that day is quickly approaching-- a week from tomorrow.  The little do's and don'ts and tricks of using the table saw have slid into a little crevice of my memory that I am having a hard time finding.  Not to mention the confidence I used to have about it.
So, if these shelves are going to be done (and I Really hope they are) the nice little japanese handsaw and block plane will have to be my tools.  But how and when do I get back into using big kid tools so my skills don't just fade away completely?

More projects. I love projects.  Better start soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment