Monday, January 23, 2012

A partially completed to do list.

Time has somehow sped up, and tomorrow is the day that I begin my student teaching.  

I had promised myself, and my husband, I would work on the set of built-in shelves in my time off.  
My fear of the table saw sitting in our basement is still alive and well. As a board goes through it, the saw shimmies and the fence slowly slides away from the blade, making a 3 1/4" board suddenly 3 1/2" at the other end.  Not the safest most precise piece of machinery I have ever encountered.  
The japanese handsaw and block plane, on the other hand, worked wonderfully.   

I donned my hoodie and took innumerable trips from house to garage with boards and tools in my hands on each trip.  

Measure twice, cut once.   
Sniffling in the cold weather, my fingertips began to go numb as I gripped the handle of the saw for cut after cut.  With the help of some creative clamping and a screwdriver, the shelves were mostly together by the end of the day.  (Yeah, it took me a while, but I am out of practice!)             Some more paint the next morning and my husband helped my put them in place at night.  Just some more trim to cut and install, and a few more coats of paint, and it'll be done!
On to my next project...  Whatever will it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment