Friday, May 17, 2013

Busy Bee Week

Tomorrow is Bee Day.
The hives are ready and waiting.


There is so much greatness to the farm.
Bees.
Hens.
Garden.
(Not to mention the bird sanctuary with peacocks, the ponds, pool, and castles...)
The girls started laying already. 
And what pretty girls they are!  Photo soon, i swear!
But we have had some fresh eggs.  Yay!


(Oh, and in there was a doubler.)

The eggs aren't the amazingly deep orange yet, but when the purslane starts coming up, and there are spare tomatoes on the vines, im sure they will be!  Gotta feed the girls well :)
I've been trying to get my flower garden up to snuff, and get the weeds under control.  
My neighbors were helping last week to get mulch, and they piled it around for us while we were away.  (They piled it, but didn't spread it. Phew!)  So I even moved the mulch out of the way so i could put newspaper down.  It may sound crazy and OCD, but I've had some dealings with periwinkle in that garden.  It may be nice in some settings- but there, it's just a weed, and im sick of it.  So i used as much paper as possible so any potential remnants of that dont see the light of day!  All it takes is one little dead-looking stem to get some sun, and that stuff takes over, like it owns the place.  
The backyard vegetable garden is going well.  We have harvested some *yummy* lettuce for salads.  And tried a radish.  Spicy and awesome!  We went to the Mother's Day Plant Sale at the Landis Valley Museum on Saturday, where We got a pineapple tomato.  Those are so good!  I can't wait.
Other than that, I'm just working on the day to day stuff.  Hardly a chance to work in my studio with the housework, gardens, baby...  (But I must say, she is AMAZING.)
Onto finger foods- rice puffs.  Yes, we got the organic ones. And i am just waiting, impatiently, to have carrots come up in the garden for her to try.  Snow peas, too.  The frozen peas that I cooked up didnt go over so well.  (Not that I can blame her, I don't care for them much either!)

Recent Recipe Goodness:
Veggie Stromboli
Pad Thai
Veggie Quinoa
Soba Noodle Salad

*We watched Vegucated.
I had been intrigued.  It was a SERIOUS letdown.
They were so excited to have vegan mayo, and oreos, and all sorts of other, prepackaged, extremely processed foods.  
I was on a brief kick of realizing "haha- i just made a vegan meal by accident"
And on top of that, what i make is so much healthier- vegan or not!  But with our fresh eggs, you couldn't pay me to be a vegan.  (But you could try.  Throw some numbers at me.  Lets talk!)

Up next:
Farming highlights
Shiny silver



No comments:

Post a Comment