Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring has sprung.

Yesterday we went for a walk down to the coffee shop.  It was a beautiful, blue sky, sunny morning, and we thought it would be fun to see some friends.

Along the way, this is what we saw. ------------------->

It made us think that spring had sprung.

Then a friend of ours said "6-10 inches."
Yeah right, I thought.

We proceded to finish preparing our raised beds in the back yard in the afternoon.  We decided to try the square foot method this time around- especially the idea of succession planting- it seems so reasonable, and manageable.  We are only allowing three tomato plants in our yard.  It is so hard to restrain myself, though!  And the dilemma of what types to grow... tough choices- but I think we are going with Black Krim, Ramapo, and some kind of cherry tomato that my dad had seeds for.
So, we made the grids, and planted lettuce seeds, radishes, garlic and snow peas.


SNOW peas, I said.
and this is what we got.


For all of the complaining I did.  Sheesh.  
But again, I am super excited about the gardens this year.  Maybe, just maybe, we will have watermelons and honeydew at the big garden.  That depends on if I can get some seeds started- soon.  The seeds I have are old, and too many years, now, I have been a slacker at taking good care of the seedlings.  Keeping them properly hydrated, lit, and warmed fell to the wayside, as I was busy with work or school, and just didn't pay enough attention.  
We are definitely planning to plant potatoes, winter squash, onions, and hungarian wax peppers up there, though.  I can't wait.  And-- hopefully, there will be hens again!  I love eating fresh eggs, and especially knowing that the hens are eating well, and therefore, so are we.  Watching them jump for the purslane we brought up to them was so much fun!  You get those Omega-3s, hens  Get 'em!

Up Next:

Odds & Ends
Road Trip
Make an Easter Basket
Dye Easter Eggs


No comments:

Post a Comment